Friday, October 3, 2008

Apple Picking




We had a great time picking apples today. I've got big plans, too. I'll post the recipes as I make the goodies.

We went up to Eckert's Orchard and they have a ton of little side shows and activities for the kids. We thought they'd really like it, but they weren't nearly as into it as we had hoped... Until we got out into the apple fields. Then, it was like they came to life. Sure, corn field mazes and pig races are fun, but they limit the imagination so much that I think it was actually boring Ava and Eli. After we got out in the fields and picked a few apples we just let the kids roam. It wasn't very crowded and the fields are huge, so it wasn't hard to find a quiet space. I was able to sit and nurse Serenity without feeling like I was offending half a dozen people, Kevin and Ava competed to see who could splatter the most rotten apples by throwing them, and Eli wandered into his own world, no shocker there. He's never been a people person anyway, so once he was free, he went off by himself and rolled apples, kicked dirt, and just lost himself in his own thoughts. It's so fun to watch him while he plays and wonder what funny things he's imagining.

So that was our day. Kids are finally asleep and I have to go help Kevin clean out the basement.
:(

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading your day to day blog, and your children are so beautiful, just like their Mama....Love, Becky Wynn

Charlene said...

Thanks, Becky!