Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oobleck

This is such a fun (and cheap!) activity for the kids to do. I can remember doing this when I was a kid and my kids love it just as much as I did. It's great to whip out when the kids are bored and Mommy needs to get some things done. This is also a great time to talk about how important patience is and to show how having patience pays off in the end. It would tie in great with a bible study on the subject or to demonstrate just what patience really is to a little one who is having a hard time grasping the concept. So, get out a bowl for each kid. In each bowl add 4 tablespoons of cornstarch, 3 tablespoons of water, and a few drops of food coloring. Then let the kids *slowly* mix everything up with their hands. If you touch the oobleck fast it is crumbly and hard, but when you slowly dig your hands into it, it melts and turns into an ooey, gooey SLIME!! Beware, you will have stained hands when all is said and done, but it's worth it!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Did you make that name up?

Charlene said...

No, I'm not that creative. I'd probably call it something very unoriginal like 'slime'. ;)