Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Felt playfood

The past few weeks I've been working on some new playfood for the kids made out of felt. I have been so pleased with the results that I wanted to share with you all my new found love. Let me start by saying that we try to stay clear of plastic as much as possible. For those of you who think that sounds extreme... all I have to say is BPA. This chemical was deemed "safe" by the FDA for years and recently they have admitted that BPA is capable of seeping out of the plastic when heated, into your food or beverage, and then making it's way into your body. Now they're trying to weed out all things containing BPA so that plastic will again be "safe". That's great, but what next? What is safe now will be toxic tomorrow. That being said, we live in the real world and so we cannot completely boycott plastic. We do what we can. Playfood is not regulated any more than any other toy, but it has a huge tendency to end up in the mouths of babes, so we feel like we should take special precautions. Besides that, the texture of the felt food is so much more realistic, it cannot cause a concusion when Eli throws it and hits someone in the head like wooden play food, and the kids appreciate it so much more because they saw the amount of work that went into it. I used left over felt from diaper covers and here are some samples of what I've made thus far:



I started with my favorite kind of food... sweets! I know the egg looks out of place, that was Ava's addition. :) A quick google search will give you all kinds of tutorials, but I don't find it nessecary. The imagination works just as well. I have a huge list of more food to make and I can't wait to get it all done. Mark my words, once you start, you won't want to stop!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

those look great. You should sell items like that on etsy!

Tina said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing! And...Cheryl is right...you should sell some on etsy.

Charlene said...

Thanks, ladies! You're too sweet. But seeing them up close might change your minds about Etsy! ;)