Thursday, December 17, 2009

Viggo's Birth

There are many reasons people choose to have a homebirth. For us, a lot of aspects come into play, many of which are a matter of personal preference and opinion, and are worthy of their own post for another day. :) This post is simply about Viggo. I'm not posting this to try and educate or sway anybody's opinion on the subject of homebirthing, but to share the awesome experience we had bringing this little baby into the world.
Viggo finally arrived on December 16, eleven days past his due date! I started having contractions the day before when I woke up. They were pretty consistently 5 minutes apart and continued that way until that evening with no real pain. The house was full of excitement as we were getting things ready, knowing tonight was going to be the night. The kids were so involved in the whole process and were more than happy to keep me company as I tried to relax and prepare for the labor.

Everyone was so full of snuggles as we anxiously awaited Baby Viggo!



Serenity sat with me while I labored on the birthing ball and drew me pictures!


The kids even got to help Daddy with the birthing pool!

Finally at about 10:00 pm I started feeling some pain with the contractions. Kevin started filling up the birthing pool that was set up in the dining room and I was in it by 11:00. It offered so much relief!


But by midnight, I was really in a lot of pain and feeling pretty discouraged. My water still hadn't broken and I was thinking if my contractions already hurt that bad, what were they going to feel like after my water broke! It was then that I started my pity party. :) Knowing I still needed my water to break and thinking there would be a couple of hours to go after that, I hit my breaking point, something every laboring mother does. It was a really emotional and difficult time. It was a time that, looking back, I see will forever be a part of who I am and who Kevin is. There was a certain amount of strength added to our relationship at that moment as I clung, sobbing, to him and he did something I'll never forget. He didn't tell me that I could do this because I was strong enough or good enough, because he knew that's not what I needed or wanted to hear. Instead he started to pray. So quietly, so calmly, asking the Lord to be with me and to give me the strength I needed. And He did. Within a matter of a few minutes, I felt Viggo's head transcending. My water didn't break until just as his head emerged. Within 2, maybe 3 pushes, he was here! It's comical to me, now, thinking of how discouraged I was just "knowing" I still had hours and hours of laboring left to go... only to see that he was delivered within minutes! But, I know it was hitting that wall, that brink of hysteria that caused me to break and become an open vessel for God's plan and His timing.

Viggo Abram was born at 12:45 am and he was perfect! 20.5" long and weighing 9lb 4oz with curly, dark hair! We were able to move straight from the birthing pool to our nice cozy bed where he nursed with such ease, was snuggled, and given a little check-up. It was such a wonderful experience for our family. Again we look at this baby and find ourselves amazed at the miracle of childbirth. We are so thankful for another opportunity to raise up a child for the Lord!





Ava loves her new baby brother!


Eli is fascinated with Viggo! He has been waiting a long time for his baby brother and says he's going to teach him to play baseball and sword fight. I have no doubts he is going to be a great big brother!




Serenity is having a hard time learning to give Viggo space. She loves him so much and can hardly stand to walk within arms reach of him and not kiss and touch!



We thank God for baby Viggo and for his safe delivery. We are so looking forward to watching him grow!

5 comments:

Tina said...

Very sweet post. Congratulations! I am so glad that everyone is doing well.

Many blessings to you and your family this Christmas holiday!

Jenni said...

Praise the Lord! How awesome! Another 'reward' from the Lord. (Psalm 127:3 "Lo, Children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.")
Love the McAllisters, Jenni, Brian, Luke, Sadie, Hannah, Abby and Ava

BAK said...

What an amazing & wonderful story. Who would have guessed this little girl we met 18 years ago would become such a beautiful wife & mother?
Through you, God has shown his great miracle of creation! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings to you all this Christmas,
Bev & Wayne

wayne said...

Wonderful story Char, and such a
great experience for the entire
family. A handsome baby!!!! God
Bless you all. Merry Christmas.
love you, Wayne & Sue

wayne said...

That is a beautiful Baby boy.
Thank God you 2 are doing so good.
You Have been blessed to have such
a beautiful family.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
God Bless
Wayne & Sue