Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dear weary parents...

What mother is not tired? I don't know one! We all get a bit overwhelmed from time to time with the duties of motherhood. When it comes down to it, all we can do is our best. I'm reading a wonderful book titled The Family by J.R. Miller. I highly recommend! As I was reading through it today I found the most wonderful piece about motherhood. It is so uplifting and encouraging that I couldn't keep it to myself! Here is what he had to say:

"There is an old picture which represents a woman who has fallen asleep at her spinning wheel, in very weariness, as she toils to fulfill her household duties, and the angels have come and are softly finishing her task while she sleeps. Let parents be faithful; let them do their best. The work may seem too great for them, and they may faint under its burdens and seem to fail. But what they cannot do the angels will come and finish while they sleep. Night by night they will come and correct the day's mistakes and if need be do all the poor, faulty work over again. Then at last when the parents sleep in death, dropping out of their hands the sacred work they have been doing for their children, again God's angels will come, take up the unfinished work and carry it on to completeness."

I found this to be a most encouraging thought, that if I'm doing my best to raise my children up in the Lord, in accordance with God's word, He will send His angels to see me through those times of weariness. How wonderful to remember that we're not alone in this. That we are doing the work of a most merciful God who wants us to succeed as parents and is always there to supply wisdom and gracious love, all we have to do is come to Him and ask.

No comments: